The volunteer program at Music & Memory connects individuals with a love for music and humanity. Thanks to people like you, we’re spreading our program to nursing homes, rehabilitation facilities, assisted living facilities, hospices and other elder care settings throughout the U.S. and beyond.
If you haven’t joined us yet, you can get involved by hosting an iPod donation drive, volunteering in a neighboring certified facility, organizing a fundraiser, or showing us your leadership skills by acting as a Volunteer Ambassador (more detailed information below). You can even start your own Music & Memory chapter at your school or college.
Volunteer Orientation Webinar
We provide all our volunteers with an orientation webinar and dozens of resources and information. Want to connect with other volunteers, too? After our orientation webinar you can join our Facebook group as an official Music & Memory volunteer. We’re waiting for you and we hope you’ll get involved soon!
The volunteer orientation webinar is given every month, on the last Monday at 7pm EST except for months that have a holiday on that last Monday:
Upcoming Webinar Dates
January 29th: 6-7 p.m. EST
February 26th: 6-7 p.m. EST
March 26th: 6-7 p.m. EST
To register for the webinar please fill out the registration form here:
Here’s how you can help bring Music & Memory to your home community:
Promote an iPod Donation Drive
An iPod donation drive is a great way to collect gently used digital devices for people who need them most, support your local community or a sister community in need, and raise awareness for Music & Memory.
This is a wonderful activity for a grade school, high school or college community service project; church, synagogue or mosque community outreach; or service club program.
Anyone whose family member or friend has been affected by Alzheimer’s will have a strong motivation to contribute. In addition, as more and more people switch their music collections from iPods to smartphones, there’s a growing supply of second-hand iPods. We want to keep these devices out of landfills and put them into the hands of elders who can really benefit from personalized playlists
We always need new and gently used iPods to distribute among our expanding network of MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certified Care Organizations. There are many ways for people contribute:
- If you are contributing iPods to a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certified Care Organization, please email Apple at email@example.com to request a 7 percent discount. The iPods will be shipped directly to the specified organization. This discount is also available for iPod orders placed by any MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certified Care Organization (excluding government entities). Shipping is free.
- Order new iPods online from Best Buy, Radio Shack and many other electronics dealers who can ship directly to us.
- Send us gently used iPods using our donation form and pre-printed mailing labels.
You’ll find everything you need by downloading our free resource guide:
How to Run an iPod Donation Drive
Add your organization’s name to this PDF, to promote a service project that will help Music & Memory:
MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Service Project Guide
You can manage your fundraiser online using Razoo®. Download this quick-start guide:
Using Razoo® to Create Your Own MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Fundraiser
If you are fundraising to start or grow a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ program at a specific care organization, learn how to use Go Fund Me in this quick-start guide:
Fundraising to start a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ program with www.gofundme.com
Raise Community Awareness
If you love community organizing and are comfortable working with the media, you can help us spread awareness of Music & Memory and how our program could benefit nursing home residents in your area. Here are a few ideas:
- Help us to identify corporate sponsors in your community who could team with area elder care professionals to bring our Music & Memory certification program to their organizations.
- Arrange for a screening of our documentary, Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory.
- Coordinate a benefit concert to raise funds and collect iPods for Music & Memory.
Become a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Ambassador
Is there a nursing home in your community that hasn’t heard of our personalized music program? We need your help to introduce Music & Memory. We’ll be glad to assist you and answer any of your questions along the way.
Download these guidelines to get started:
You Can Help as a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Ambassador
Music & Memory Executive Director Dan Cohen is available to speak to conferences and universities. Please contact us for more information.