Welcome! We’d love to have you join us as a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ volunteer. Thanks to people like you who share our love of music and desire to help elders suffering from a wide variety of physical and cognitive challenges, we’re spreading our program to nursing homes, rehab facilities, assisted living, hospices and other elder care settings throughout the U.S. and beyond.
Here’s how you can help bring Music & Memory to your home community:
Promote an iPod Donation Drive
An iPod donation drive is a great way to collect gently used digital devices for people who need them most, support your local community or a sister community in need, and raise awareness for Music & Memory.
This is a wonderful activity for a grade school, high school or college community service project; church, synagogue or mosque community outreach; or service club program.
Anyone whose family member or friend has been affected by Alzheimer’s will have a strong motivation to contribute. In addition, as more and more people switch their music collections from iPods to smartphones, there’s a growing supply of second-hand iPods. We want to keep these devices out of landfills and put them into the hands of elders who can really benefit from personalized playlists
We always need new and gently used iPods to distribute among our expanding network of MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certified Care Facilities. There are many ways for people contribute:
- Order directly from Apple through this email address—firstname.lastname@example.org—and receive a 7 percent discount when the iPod is shipped directly to Music & Memory. There is no shipping fee through this service.
- Order new iPods online from Best Buy, Radio Shack and many other electronics dealers who can ship directly to us.
- Send us gently used iPods using our donation form and pre-printed mailing labels.
You’ll find everything you need by downloading our free resource guide:
How to Run an iPod Donation Drive
Add your organization’s name to this PDF, to promote a service project that will help Music & Memory:
MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Service Project Guide
You can manage your fundraiser online using Razoo®. Download this quick-start guide:
Using Razoo® to Create Your Own MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Fundraiser
Raise Community Awareness
If you love community organizing and are comfortable working with the media, you can help us spread awareness of Music & Memory and how our program could benefit nursing home residents in your area. Here are a few ideas:
- Help us to identify corporate sponsors in your community who could team with area elder care professionals to bring our Music & Memory certification program to their facilities.
- Arrange for a screening of our documentary, Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory.
- Coordinate a benefit concert to raise funds and collect iPods for Music & Memory.
Become a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Ambassador
Is there a nursing home in your community that hasn’t heard of our personalized music program? We need your help to introduce Music & Memory. We’ll be glad to assist you and answer any of your questions along the way.
Download these guidelines to get started:
You Can Help as a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Ambassador
Music & Memory Executive Director Dan Cohen is available to speak to conferences and universities. Please contact us for more information.