How the MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certification Program Works
As a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certified Care Organization, you and your professional team of caregivers will learn best practices for how to set up and manage a system for providing a personalized playlist for those in your care.
Again and again, care professionals tell us that our program is often life-changing for everyone involved:
- Finally, a way to give pleasure to persons with advanced dementia
- Offers an enjoyable, fulfilling activity for persons in dialysis, on vent or bed-bound
- Increases cooperation and attention, reduces resistance to care—a real boost for staff morale
- Reduces agitation and sundowning
- Enhances engagement and socialization, fostering a calmer social environment
- Provides a valuable tool for the effort to reduce reliance on anti-psychotic and anti-anxiety medications
What does the training include?
A series of three 90-minute, live webinars, taught by Music & Memory founding Executive Director Dan Cohen, MSW, will enable your team to create a facility-ready iTunes library, efficiently manage many participants’ playlists, handle equipment and security concerns, integrate personalized digital music into your daily care plans, and evaluate the program’s effectiveness.
Your MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certification training package also includes:
- Regular conference calls to support your program for one year
- One-to-one consultations as needed for one year
- Training opportunities for new staff for one year
- Access to Music & Memory’s Community online platform, which includes a wide range of resources, a forum of fellow professionals and more
- Quarterly Noteworthy eNewsletter
October 13, 14 and 15: 1:00-2:30 p.m. EST
November 17, 18 and 19: 1:00-2:30 p.m. EST
December 8, 9 and 10: 1:00-2:30 p.m. EST
Program Pricing and Details
How much does the training cost?
$1,000 (U.S.) per organization (for-profit or non-profit). For groups with multiple sites, the price is $1,000 for the first site and $600 for each additional.
Pricing is adjusted based on number of residents/clients at your site:
- 51 or more: $1,000
- 36-50: $600
- 21-35: $400
- 9-20: $350
- 8 or fewer: $250
Who is eligible for a starter kit?
Individual proprietary (for-profit) facilities must supply at least 10 iPods to initiate training.
Non-profit sites that complete the training and have NOT received start-up support from government or other funding sources will receive a Starter Kit consisting of 10 iPods (5 new iPod Shuffles and 5 gently used iPods), 10 headphones, 10 AC adapters and one iTunes gift card ($50. U.S. only). Kits are available for non-profits paying $600 or more for training.
What are the requirements for certification?
To become a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certified Care Organization, your site must pay for training and complete all three days of the live Webinar. We train groups of staff and volunteers, but do not certify individuals.
Do you offer CEUs?
Although we are not able to grant CEU’s to participants, we do provide Certificates of Participation to those who complete the training. In most cases, you may submit the Certificate to your professional organization and receive 4.5 CEU’s for attending the Webinar.
How do we renew our certification after the first year?
A $200 renewal fee is due annually on your certification anniversary. The renewal fee assures continued access to all online donated music, documents and our best practices support forum, which is only available to MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certified Organizations.
What’s the best way to prepare for MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certification?
Download our free guide, How to Launch a Successful MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Program, to get the most out of your Webinar training.
“Despite the enormous sums of money spent on mood- and behavior-altering medications that are often not particularly effective, nothing compares to these iPods when it comes to improving quality of life.”
—Tony Lewis, President and CEO, Cobble Hill Health Center, Brooklyn, New York