Help Your Residents and Clients Find Joy Again
Regain Valuable Staff Time for Person-Centered Care
Managing daily pressures and demands—difficult residents or clients, medical emergencies, staffing shortages, must-do paperwork, must-meet regulations—it all adds up to a challenging environment.
All too often, you or your staff may feel like you don’t have a minute to spare, even as you want to spend more personal time with each individual.
But what if you could change all that—regain valuable time, improve residents’ or clients’ quality of life, foster a calm and cooperative social environment, decrease reliance on anti-psychotic medications—while offering uplifting, personal care?
Discover the Healing Power of Personalized Music
The MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certification Program enables you to do just that. Grounded in extensive neuroscience research about how our brains respond to music, tested and proven in hundreds of long-term care facilities throughout the U.S. and Canada, our personalized music system has provided therapeutic benefits for thousands of residents, clients and staff. Again and again, care professionals tell us that our program is often life-changing for everyone involved:
- Finally, a way to give pleasure to persons with advanced dementia
- Offers an enjoyable, fulfilling activity for persons in dialysis, on vent or bed-bound
- Increases cooperation and attention, reduces resistance to care—a real boost for staff morale
- Reduces agitation and sundowning
- Enhances engagement and socialization, fostering a calmer social environment
- Provides a valuable tool for the effort to reduce reliance on anti-psychotic and anti-anxiety medications
Help Your Residents and Clients Reconnect to the World
Music is, of course, a popular recreational activity in elder care facilities, with good reason. Residents love performances and sing-alongs. Music uplifts the spirit.
But group-based music programs, while meaningful, are time-bound and designed for broad appeal. Selections are age-appropriate, but not necessarily personal.
By contrast, research shows that personalized music playlists, delivered using iPods or related digital audio devices, have the capacity to transform quality of life for individuals struggling with a wide range of physical and cognitive impairments.
Give the Musical Key to Unlocking Memory
Here’s why: Musical memory is profoundly linked to emotions. These memories are stored deep in the brain. While Alzheimer’s damages the ability to recall facts and details, it does not destroy these lasting connections between a favorite song and memory of an important life event, no matter how long ago.
When individuals suffering from Alzheimer’s or dementia hear a melody connected with a meaningful memory, they can re-awaken. Many people who have not spoken in years find words and sing lyrics. They often regain the ability to converse and connect to those around them. The key is a personalized playlist.
The transformation can be nothing short of miraculous. Meet Henry, who spent years locked in his mind by dementia, as he listens to his Music & Memory personalized playlist:
How the MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certification Program Works
As a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certified Care Facility, you and your professional team of caregivers will learn best practices for how to set up and manage a system for providing a personalized playlist for any resident or client who might benefit.
A series of three 90-minute webinars, taught by Music & Memory founding Executive Director Dan Cohen, MSW, will enable your team to create a facility-ready iTunes library, efficiently manage many resident playlists, handle equipment and security concerns, integrate personalized digital music into your daily care plans, and evaluate the program’s effectiveness.
Here’s more of what you’ll learn:
Webinar I: Getting Started
- How those we care for benefit from personalized music
- How personalized music helps persons with Alzheimer’s, dementia and other cognitive and physical challenges—the science behind the transformation
- What researchers have discovered about personalized music as a therapeutic tool
- Who should be part of your Music & Memory implementation team
- How to set goals and measure success for your personalized music program
- What are the legal boundaries of music sharing
- How to prevent loss and theft of equipment
- How the program benefits staff and boosts morale
- How to engage families and your community in promoting your personalized music program
Webinar II: Creating Personalized Playlists
- The most efficient way to buy music on iTunes
- How to use your facility’s collection of CDs and acquire additional music to set up and manage your iTunes library; how to keep it updated according to music industry standards
- How to create a totally customized playlist for each individual, even if she has no voice
- How interns and volunteers can add value to your program
- When and how family and staff should be involved to help with playlist creation
- How to update your library and ensure that the most appropriate music is easy to find and retrieve
- Understanding the iTunes Store
- Going beyond the music: How to help individuals gain access to audiobooks, podcasts, TV shows, movies and apps
Webinar III: Maximizing Benefits for Residents
- How to use the iPod shuffle
- How to copy music to the iPod
- Best practices for editing playlists and updating iPods
- How to introduce the program and equipment to residents, staff and families
- How to manage infection control and device storage
- Overview of support forms, policy guidelines, marketing materials and other resources in Music & Memory’s Cloud storage
Bonus: A Full Year of Coaching Support to Ensure Your Success
As you and your professional team develop your pilot Music & Memory program, we will provide a full year of coaching support via regular conference calls and one-to-one consultations, as needed. Our goal is to ensure that your care facility launches a successful program that can be expanded over time to meet the needs of all.
More Benefits of Your Certification Training
As a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certified Care Facility, you and your professional team will become part of our growing network. Benefits include:
- Designation as a recipient site for Music & Memory volunteers and iPods from donation drives in your area
- Eligibility for non-profit facilities to receive donated iPods and iTunes cards that we obtain through our national collection drives
- Access to our Best Practices Resource Bank of marketing materials, forms, policies and procedures that have been tested and proven in our certified facilities
- Participation in and results from our program evaluation and assessment research; benchmark data and state-of-the-art best practices
- Listing as a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certified Care Facility on our website, a great resource for families seeking care facilities that offer our program in their communities
Gain Back Valuable Time for Personal, Quality Care
The hours that you and your team invest in creating a Music & Memory personalized music program at your facility will be paid back as you enable residents to feel happier, more social, less anxious—just more able to enjoy life.
- As residents or clients listen to their playlists, you’ll experience a mood shift: less agitation, fewer demands for attention.
- Staff and residents or clients enjoy a continuous flow of unexpected, positive outcomes.
- Individuals are calmer, engage in more appropriate social behavior.
- Staff feel energized and uplifted as once-remote individuals come alive and reconnect.
- Individuals look forward to listening to their iPods as a valued activity.
- Family and staff are able to connect in a more meaningful way with their loved ones around music and memories.
- A more peaceful social environment, where individuals are engaged in the personal, independent activity of listening to their own music, significantly frees up staff time and energy.
Total Cost of MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certification Program
The total cost of the MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certification Program is $1,000 (U.S.).
Individual proprietary (for-profit) facilities must supply at least 10 iPods to initiate training.*
The Certification Training Program Includes:
- Orientation and training for your entire implementation team in a 4.5 hour course (three 90-minute webinars) taught by Music & Memory founding Executive Director Dan Cohen, MSW
- Regular conference calls to support your program for one year
- One-to-one consultation as needed for one year
Upon successful completion of the training program, your facility will become a MUSIC & MEMORY℠ Certified Care Facility—demonstrating to residents, clients and their families that you are at the forefront of person-centered care.
*Non-profit care facilities receive a starter kit to help cover initial equipment costs, including 10 iPods (5 new shuffles + 5 gently used iPods), 10 headphones, 10 AC adapters, and one iTunes gift card ($50, U.S. only)
Winter Webinar Schedule
December 9, 10, 11 — 1:00-2:30 EST
January 13, 14, 15 — 2:00-3:30 EST
February 17, 18, 19 — 1:00-2:30 EST
March 17, 18, 19 — 1:00-2:30 EST